What has horses, bulls, chaps, spurs, and ropes? Some of you can read those things and already know that this is going to have something to do with rodeos. For these cowboys and cowgirls, their life revolves around riding a horse, having perfect aim with their rope, or staying on for 8 seconds. They spend most of their lives chasing around a dream that only the best of the best can achieve. The winner of these events might walk away a little sore, but with a check that will make up for any type of bruise. Rodeo for some sounds easy, but it is far from it.
- Staying on for 8 seconds isn’t as easy as it sounds. These guys are sitting on a mad bull that is ready to get that cowboy off of his back.
- The faster the better. Running around three barrels isn’t as easy as it sounds either. You have to run around 3 barrels without knocking them down and getting a good time.
- Perfect aim is a must. You can practice roping a steer a million times, but sometimes it just doesn’t work out.
- Chaps, spurs, cowboy boots, and cowboy hats are a must.
- Tying has to be done in a timely and perfect matter. If it gets up after you tie it, you are done.
- Bull fighters have a tough job. They have to keep a bull from hurting the rider that just got off its back. They put their self in danger to protect others.
- It’s dangerous. Hobby or career, it’s a dangerous sport. If you love it though, it’s worth it.
- Horses have a job. They know where to be and when to go. The horse and their rider are in synch and ready to go.
- Its competitive. $300,000 is a lot of money, and in some events they win more or less. For that much money you have to be competitive.
- Your hometown will support you. My hometown is where Team Roper Travis Graves is from. He’s a hometown hero to all of the aspiring rodeo kids. Jay Oklahoma absolutely loves seeing a hometown guy making it on the big screen. (Plus him pulling that George Strait trailer is pretty awesome!)
- It’s a family event. Rodeo is fun to bring the whole family out to watch. If you are participating in the event, it’s fun to have your family come cheer you on.
- Rodeo has queens! Pretty girls that are the best of the best.
- Practice can happen anywhere. In college we had a place called aggie alley that has roping dummies. The rodeo boys would go out there all the time and just hang out and practice. It was also fun to watch the people who have never roped before attempt to rope.
- George Strait, Garth Brooks, and Chris LeDoux are going to be played at least once during the event.
- Baxter Black is awesome. If you see Baxter Black, don’t be afraid to ask for a picture, he is a super nice and funny guy.
- Dirt isn’t a big deal. If you hit the dirt and get back up, you better be thankful.
For cowboys and cowgirls everywhere, rodeo is a fun event. It might be competitive but at the end of the day they are doing something that they love and carrying on a tradition.
Like Raised in a Barn on Facebook for more, on Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat at raisedbarn.